Monday, August 16, 2010

Snickerdoodle Cookies

I was very lucky to have a 5 day weekend last week, too bad it was cold, rainy and windy for most of it. Other than the bad weather it was still a very nice break, we got a lot of stuff organised for the upcoming America trip and I went to the Ekka twice.

For those outside of Queensland Australia, the Ekka is our version of a state fair. The highlights for me were the baby animals and the St. Bernard puppies and the squishy faced kitties, oh and the decorated cakes and a bertie bettle showbag.


I got a few quick pictures of the cakes, they’re not the best, most are taken over the shoulders of the crowds of people.


After all the food and chocolate at the show I didn’t feel much like baking anything super sweet this week, but the cold weather made me crave hot tea and cookies.

I have never eaten or made snickerdoodle cookies before. Call me childish but their name makes me giggle. Snickerdoodles! These cookies were perfect, crispy with a little bit of spice and perfect dipped in tea.


Snickerdoodles
(from Cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies)

250 grams softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 ¾ cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon caster sugar (extra)
2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
(makes 42 cookies)

To make the cookies- beat butter, brown sugar, caster sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined

Mix in the sifted flour, soda and nutmeg, one half at a time.

Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 180 degrees c. Cover baking trays with baking paper.

In a small shallow bowl, combine the extra caster sugar and cinnamon.

Roll out level tablespoons of the cookie dough into balls.


Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar.


Place the cookie balls on a tray, space them about 7cm apart.


Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, remove from oven and allow them to cool on the trays.

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum. Snickerdoodles are my very favorite cookie!!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have this book and think it's lovely, great recipes and great inspiration too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had snickerdoodles before, but I remember being sorely disappointed that they didn't involve snickers when I was a kid. These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snickerdoodles are the perfect cookies. Those cakes look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I just came across your lovely blog :) These look like delicious cookied - I love the name! Perfect dunked in a hot cup of tea on a cold day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I haven't made these in awhile. Thanks for reminding me.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies were a favourite of mine while I was breastfeeding (baby didn't like chocolate poor me)they are so delicious. Yours look great. Thanks for sharing your Ekka pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, look at those cakes!!!!!!
    Can't believe i've yet to do the snickerdoodle cookie, but you recipe looks so delicious I must try soon.

    ReplyDelete